Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on September 29 2018 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we talk about diagnosing and advocating Arthritis, with Janet Yale; meal prep master with Tonic Sex Expert Megan Horsley; how to have that long term care conversation with David Bernstein and sleep hygiene with Dr. Emily Lipinski ND.
Also….the Soul Segment with Lisa Marvin
We specifically discuss:
Arthritis and Advocacy
- What is Arthritis?
- osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- symptoms of arthritis
- Who can diagnose arthritis
- The Symptom Checker
- Who is affected by arthritis?
- chronic pain
- self advocacy
- medical cannabis
- quality of life
Having that Long Term Care Conversation
- How do you enter into the conversation?
- The starting point: Where do they want to live?
- retro-fitting the home
- Issues around the living will
- avoiding falling
- the financial concerns
- managing expectations
- health binder
- speak with the doctors
- speak with the lawyers, accountants and investment specialists
Meal Prep Mastery
- Are meal boxes necessary?
- Carving out the time
- What are the benefits of meal prep?
- Find your inspiration
- Buying in bulk
- Expanding recipes – simple recipes
- quality containers
- what types of foods are appropriate?
THE SOUL SEGMENT: Fulfillment
- Why is sleep important?
- sleep and weight loss
- sleep and disease
- sleep and aging
- What is stopping us from sleeping properly?
- Eating before sleep
- Sleep rituals
- Sleep temperature
- Light regulation
- Sleep apnea and weight loss
- herbal remedies
- jet lag and melatonin
For more information about show sponsor The Arthritis Society go here.
For more information about David Bernstein and Caregiver Services go here
To read Megan’s article on yoga breathing in Tonic Magazine go here.
For more information about the Big Carrot go here.
To learn more about Dr. Emily Lipinski ND go here.
To learn more about Lisa Marvin go here.