Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on November 17 2018 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the pros and cons of offloading responsibility for Toronto’s infrastructure to the province with Mitchell Abrahams, digital access to health records in Canada with Michael Green, healthy fats with Dr. Emily Lipinski and prebiotics vs. probiotics with Tonic Holistic Nutritionist Megan Horsley.
Also….the Soul Segment with Lisa Marvin
We specifically discuss:
Offloading Responsibility for Toronto’s Infrastructure to the Province
- What is Infrastructure?
- Tax collection and responsibility
- Sources of revenues and raising capital
- raising capital through public/private collaboration
- Provincial growth plan: Urban growth centers
- Planning ahead
- Growing the region
- Benefits: Private Sector Suppliers
- Cons: Less local say
Digital Access to Health Records in Canada
- Current status of records in our health system
- Coordinating technology
- Adopting new technology
- Reasons to update technology
- Will some be left behind: age and affordability
- Access and mobility concerns
- Aspirations: Controlling health care through mobile devices
- Resources required to make change
- Timeline for changes:
- Jurisdictions and resources to coordinate provinces and territories
- Security concerns
- Identity management
- Should we avoid fats?
- Sugar is the new fat
- Quality of fats
- We need fat in our diets
- Healthy vs. Unhealthy fats
- Animal fats
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Olive oil
Prebiotics vs. Probiotics
- What are probiotics?
- What do probiotics do?
- How do we know we need more probiotics?
- Where do we get probiotics from?
- Supplementation, fermented foods
- What do prebiotics do?
- What are prebiotics?
For more information about show sponsor The Benvenuto Group go here.
To learn more about Michael Green’s work and Access 2022 go here.
To learn more about Dr. Emily Lipinski ND go here.
To read Megan Horsley’s article in Tonic Magazine go here.