Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 16 and 17 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss medical cannabis and for veterans and seniors with Shekhar Parmar, how food = love with Naomi Bussin, the natural treatment of addictions with Dr. Emily Lipinski ND and the New Canadian Food Guidelines with dietician Shauna Lindzon.
We specifically discuss:
Medical Cannabis for Veterans and Seniors
- Veterans are being helped by medical cannabis
- PTSD – anxiety, sleep, flashbacks, nightmares, reliving the trauma
- Previous abuse of the system
- Guidelines – cost covered for veterans, up to a limit (3 grams/day)
- Process to get more cannabis for veterans
- The costs to Veterans Affairs increased 120x in the past few years
- The real qualitative costs saved by medical cannabis
- The Canadian vs. American approach to medical cannabis for veterans
- Seniors and medical cannabis
- Improvement to quality of life
- Dispensing medical cannabis to seniors in care facilities
- Training for caregivers of seniors regarding medical cannabis
Food = Love
- The connection between food and love
- How are food and love connected?
- The social aspect of eating
- Negative connections with food
- How do we share our love for food?
- Chicken Soup!
- Jamie Oliver’s Baked Chocolate Tart
- Taste and Technique
Treating Addictions Naturally
- Alcohol abuse/misuse
- Guidelines are different for men and women
- Alcohol and your health
- Recreational Cannabis
- Cannabis Abuse
- Natural Remedies
- Dopamine, amino acids, B12
The New Canadian Food Guidelines
- The new food guidelines
- No consultation with industry, no predetermined portions
- The plate theory
- Plant based proteins
- Whole grains
- Whole foods, minimally processed foods, ultra-processed foods
- No more meats + alternative or dairy +alternative groups
- Why is the guide important?
- Criticism of the new guide
For more information about show sponsor Harvest Medicine go here.
To read Naomi’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Emily Lipinski go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.