Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on April 6, 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the connection between sugar consumption and Alzheimer’s Disease with Joel Thuna, why you might want to keep a health journal with Kathleen Trotter, a physician’s perspective on e-prescriptions with Dr. Mohamed Alarakhia and lectin-free and gluten-free diets with Shauna Lindzon.
We specifically discuss:
Alzheimer’s Disease and Sugar
- What is Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Why is there a rise in the number of people diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease?
- Contributing factors to the disease
- Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Carbohydrate consumption and cognitive impairment
- Sugar consumption and cognitive impairment and mental decline
- Insulin degrading enzyme
- Healthy lifestyle patterns
- Ketogenic diet
Why You Want to Keep a Health Journal
- What is journaling?
- Pinpointing your bad habits?
- Why do journals work?
- How do traditional food and exercise journals work?
- “X vs.O” journal
- Journal healthy and happy vs. unhealthy and unhappy habits
- Journaling technology
A Physician’s Perspective on e-Prescriptions
- Why is there a need for a digital system in medicine?
- How has the new system benefited the physician?
- How does e-prescriptions improve medical care?
- Do patients object to the digital system?
- What is the most impactful result of the digital system?
- Patient’s requisite levels of technology
Lectin-free and Gluten-free Diets
- What are lectins?
- What are symptoms of lectin sensitivity?
- Preparing beans and grains
- Gluten-free diets
- Celiac Disease and Gluten sensitivity
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read Joel’s article on Alzheimer’s Disease and sugar in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Kathleen Trotter clinic go here.
To learn more about Dr. Alarakhia go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.