Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 1, 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the natural approach to longevity with Joel Thuna, the treatment of a torn meniscus with Dr. Khalil Masri, the benefits of early detection via proactive health management with George Barakat and gut health with Shauna Lindzon.
We specifically discuss:
The Natural Approach to Longevity
- Is 50 really the new 40?
- What’s great about aging?
- Does genetics play a role in aging?
- How do we determine our health outside of genetics?
- Lifestyle choices can influence genetics
- Stop smoking
- See your doctor regularly
- Try to maintain a healthy weight
- Eating a balanced diet that is vegetable and fruit forward
- Take steps to reduce stress
- Get enough sleep
- Stay mentally active
- Do weight bearing exercise
- Does having a positive attitude make you feel younger?
Treating A Torn Meniscus
- What is a meniscus?
- How does a meniscus tear?
- Do knee injuries correlate to aging?
- Is there a way to keep a meniscus from degenerating with age?
- Weight bearing exercises and warming up are key
- Stretching before and after activities
- The signs of a torn meniscus
- First steps to diagnose a meniscus tear
- Surgery and post-surgery regimen
- Post-surgery susceptibility to repeat tears
The Benefits of Early Detection Via Proactive Health Management
- Early detection protocols
- Access to integrated medicine
- What is the best way to facilitate early detection?
- Wait times for referrals
- Annual health assessment vs. check up
- What health issues can be identified in an assessment?
- What components of the health assessment is covered by OHIP?
- How do we properly balance good and bad bacteria in our gut?
- How do you get probiotics into your system?
- Why do want probiotics in our system?
- Prebiotics are the food for the probiotics
- Do we have to have probiotics every day?
- Can you supplement for probiotics?
- Are there any contraindications for probiotics?
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read Joel’s article on the natural treatment of asthma in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Khalil Masri and clinic go here.
To learn more about George Barakat and Jack Nathan Health go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.