Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 8, 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we chat about protein powders with Dr. Gordon Chang, the treatment of ACL injuries with Dr. Khalil Masri, lifestyle choices for longevity with with Megan Horsley and entertaining guests with food allergies and preferences with Naomi Bussin
We specifically discuss:
- Misconceptions about milk based protein powders
- Lactose intolerance
- Milk protein isolates vs. whey protein isolates
- Biological values – absorption by the body
- Digestive enzymes
- Why do we need protein?
- Vegetable based proteins – a lack of essential amino acids
- Protein drinks
- Protein and weight loss
- Protein for men or women
- Protein for people recovering from illness
Treating ACL Injuries:
- The ACL
- ACL injuries through twisting and hyper-extension of the knee
- How do you prevent an ACL injury?
- Strengthening exercises
- How do you know if you have an ACL injury?
- MRI for diagnosis
- Is surgery necessary for an ACL injury?
- Older patients and ACL injuries
- What does recovery look like, post-surgery?
Lifestyle Choices for Longevity:
- Holistic nutrition focusing on life stages
- Are Canadians living longer?
- John Robbins research
- Social integration – purpose and belonging
- Diet – plant based, fermented foods, cultured dairy, minimal meat, home grown food
Entertaining Guests with Food Allergies and Preferences:
- Hospitality and awareness
- Responsibilities of host and guests
- Make the meal one that all guests can eat
- Provide options
- Tu Casa, Mi Casa
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oh How She Glows
- First Mess
- Flavor Flours
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha go here.
To learn more about Dr. Khalil Masri go here
To read Megan Horsley’s article in Tonic Magazine go here
To read Naomi Bussin’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here