Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 15 and 16, 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss which ailments allicin can treat with “The Garlic Guru” Peter Josling, aging from a public health perspective with Dr. Paula Rochon, the benefits of elder companionship with Kristina Dobbin and hot topics in lung health with Chris Haromy
We specifically discuss:
What Ailments Allicin Can Treat
- The compound Allicin
- Bacterial skin infections – staph
- Bacterial internal infections – e.coli, salmonella, MERSA etc.
- Viruses – prevention of reinfection
- Viruses – herpes, rhinovirus, Epstein-Barr
- Fungus – candida
- Lyme Disease
Aging From a Public Health Perspective
- Why is it important for us to think about aging?
- What can we do to promote health for aging adults?
- Common sense health and wellness lifestyle decisions
- Key differences for men and women as they age
- Helping the aging population with drug therapies
- What are “prescribing cascades”?
The Benefits of Elder Companionship
- The impact of isolation and loneliness on seniors
- Factors that increase social isolation
- Peer health care and companionship
- What is the extra value in companionship in care-giving?
- The aging workforce
- Finding the right fit between care-giver and senior
- What factors are impacting longevity?
Hot Topics in Lung Health
- Cannabis and risks to lung health
- The “vaping” epidemic
- Second hand smoke and vapor
- The cancer risk of radon gas
- Air pollution – smog
- Lung Health and flu shots
For more information about show sponsor Allimax and Peter Josling go here.
To learn more about Women’s College Research Institute and Dr. Paula Rochon go here.
To learn more about Seniors For Seniors and Kristina Dobbin go here.
To learn more about the Ontario Lung Association and Chris Haromy go here.