Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on December 14 and 15, 2019 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the natural treatment of hangovers with Joel Thuna, home holiday entertaining tips with Naomi Bussin, managing osteoporosis and osteoarthritis through exercise with Kathleen Trotter and the best oils to cook with with Carolyn Tanner Cohen
We specifically discuss:
The Natural Treatment of Hangovers
- What is a hangover and what are the symptoms?
- Hangover prevention
- Common hangover myths: mixing drinks, ingesting fat
- Alcohol is a diuretic – drink water
- Hangovers are associated with low blood sugar
- Lifestyle approaches to hangovers – exercise
- Herbal remedies – inflammation and liver support
- Activated charcoal – fact and myth
- Upset Stomach
- Mental Fog
Home Holiday Entertaining Tips
- Why is entertaining so stressful?
- Having people over vs. entertaining
- Myers Briggs entertaining style
- Planning for stress free entertaining
- Nothing Fancy – Alison Roman
- Get your guests involved
- Bring the get together into the kitchen
- Don’t apologize
- What’s old is new
- Menu building – start with the main course
Managing Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis Through Exercise
- What is the difference between osteoporosis and osteoarthritis?
- Exercises that help with bone strength
- Exercises that help with cartilage
- Muscular strength and bio-mechanics
- Lifestyle modifications for osteoporosis
- Core strength and rotation
- Cold damp weather
- Avoiding falls
- Is yoga appropriate for those who have osteoporosis?
The Best Oils To Cook With
- Oils you shouldn’t use -Canola Oil
- The smoke point of oil
- Grapeseed oil -> Sunflower oil -> Olive oil ->Refined Coconut oil
- The flavour of oil
- Neutral flavoured oils
- Health benefits of oils
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read Joel’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To read Naomi’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Kathleen Trotter go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner Cohen go here.