Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on May 30 and 31, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the health benefits of Vitamin D with Joel Thuna, eating lighter for Spring with Shauna Lindzon, whether metabolic training is right for you with Noah Schwartz and baking sourdough bread with Naomi Bussin
We specifically discuss:
The Health Benefits of Vitamin D
- Why discuss Vitamin D?
- What is Vitamin D?
- Vitamin D2 and Vitamin D3
- Sunlight and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D added to foods
- Which form of Vitamin D should you take?
- Muscle function
- Mood and Depression
- Stroke recovery
- Cognitive decline
- Cancer – slowing development, decreased risk
- Weight gain – regulating cortisol
- Immunity – fighting infections of the respiratory tract
- Correct dosage
Eating Lighter For Spring
- Beets and beet greens
- Ramps and garlic scapes
- Ontario greenhouse vegetables – strawberries, tomatoes etc.
- Batch cooking Spring produce
Is Metabolic Training Right for You?
- What is metabolic training?
- Low impact training – walking, jogging
- Consistency and lifestyle
- What are the benefits of metabolic training?
- What does a metabolic training session look like?
- Can anybody do metabolic training?
- Does metabolic training require a requisite level of fitness?
Baking Sourdough Bread
- Why is everyone talking about sourdough bread?
- The homemade bread controversy
- What is sourdough?
- How do you start?
- Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast – Ken Forkish
- Josey Baker Bread – Josey Baker
- Bien Cuit – Zachary Golper
- What do you need to bake sourdough bread?
- Broadflour – fresh milled flour in Toronto
- Don’t throw out the sourdough discard – pancakes, waffles, brownies, crackers
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Noah Schwartz go here
To read articles by Naomi Bussin in Tonic Magazine go here