Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 6 and 7, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss probiotics with Andrea Donsky, getting ready for golf and tennis season with Dr. Stacy Irvine, meal prepping with Carolyn Tanner-Cohen and bereavement counseling for families of those who died from Covid-19.
We specifically discuss:
- What are probiotics?
- The microbiome
- The balanced gut
- How does aging impact digestion?
- Gut health, immunity and mental health
- Why take refrigerated probiotics?
- Why take multi-strain probiotics?
- Dosage -colony forming units
- Expiry date and CFU’s
- Enteric coating vs. stomach acids
- Getting probiotics in your diet
Golf and Tennis Season
- Preparing your body to play tennis
- Agility and power sports
- Hand-eye coordination
- Tennis elbow
- Shoulder tendonosis
- Strengthening the small muscles
- Change of direction and ankle strength
- Golf – extreme range of motion
- Lower back
- External range of motion of shoulders
- Internal range of motion of hips
Meal Prep 101
- What does meal prep mean?
- Rule #1 – The master staple grocery list
- Rule #2 – Process what you’ve bought right away
- Preserving processed produce
- Rule #3 – Your freezer is for temporary storage
Bereavement Counseling For Families of Covid-19 Victims
- What is the Grief Corps?
- Bereavement counseling for those who’ve lost someone to Covid-19
- Where did the idea for the Grief Corps come from?
- Complex bereavement due to Covid-19
- How does the Grief Corps work?
- The exercises and tools used during Grief Corps counseling
- Group counseling – reluctance
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
For more information about Andrea Donsky go here.
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner-Cohen go here.
To learn more about Derek Scott, the Grief Corps and bereavement counseling for Covid-19 go here.