Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on July 4 and 5, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the natural treatment of stress and sleep with Andrea Donsky, healthy grilling with Shauna Lindzon, how to find solace in solitude with Tracey Soghrati and proper hydration for exercise with Dr. Stacy Irvine.
We specifically discuss:
The Natural Treatment of Stress and Sleep
- What can we do to deal with stress?
- Deep breathing
- Exercise – sleep
- Foods that battle stress
- Adaptogenic herbs
- Omega-3 with high EPA’s
- Gaba – Passion Flower
- Stress and sleep
- Sleep Hygiene
- Limiting blue light
- Direct heat, indirect heat, combination and smoking
- Lid up or down
- Grilling vegetables
Finding Solace in Solitude
- The unhealthy way to be in solitude
- The unhealthy internal monologue
- Why is it so hard to be alone with our thoughts?
- Getting stuck in a cognative vision
- Why can solitude be a good thing?
- Reflecting on relationships
- Getting to know yourself
- Building the capacity to be with yourself
- How can you use your alone time productively?
- Emotional regulation
- Engaging others outside of solitude
Proper Hydration for Exercise
- The importance of proper hydration
- When is the best time to hydrate?
- Hydration during exercise
- Your thirst isn’t an accurate indicator of hydration
- Post workout hydration
- Cold vs. room temperature water
- Overheating during exercise
- Sports drinks – electrolyte replacement, sugar and caffeine
- Alternatives to sports drinks
- Is there such a thing as drinking too much water?
- How do you deal with cramps?
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
For more information about Andrea Donsky go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.
To learn more about Tracy Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine go here.