Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 1 and 2, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the naturopathic approach to stress in challenging times with Dr. Melanie Kusznireckyj ND, why micro-nutrients are as important to your health as macro-nutrients with Megan Horsley RHN, the exercises that support running, hiking and jogging with Ali Lubin and how you can overcome loneliness with Carlyle Jansen.
We specifically discuss:
The Naturopathic Approach to Adapting and Coping During Challenging Times
- Stress caused by challenging times
- Self-help confusion
- The education and training of naturopathic doctors
- The underlying philosophy of naturopathy and naturopathic medicines
- The holistic approach
- Mitigating side effects
- The relationship between a naturopathic doctor and patient
- High EPA Omega Fatty Acids (Fish Oil)
- L-Theanine: (Green Tea)
- Gaba: The stomach-brain connection
Micro-nutrients vs. Macro-nutrients
- Tracking macro-nutrients and weight loss
- What is a macro-nutrient?
- What is a micro-nutrient?
- What happens if you don’t get enough micro-nutrients?
- Nutrient deficiency
- What’s wrong with “fortified” flours?
- Supplementing while dieting
- Eating whole foods that are nutrient dense
The Exercises that Support Running, Hiking and Walking
- The health benefits of running, hiking and walking
- What are the risks of running, hiking, walking?
- How do we prevent those risks?
- How to get started?
- Work out buddies
- Over-training and rest days
- Strength training
- Normalizing loneliness
- Loneliness is a feeling not a fact
- Mindfulness, self-compassion
- Cognitive behavioral techniques
- Loneliness and depression
- Extending yourself
- Action plans
- Seek collectives
- Expect the best
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
For more information about Dr. Melanie Kusznireckyj ND go here.
To read Megan Horsley’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Ali Lubin go here.
To read Carlyle Jansen’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.