Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on November 28 and 29, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss how protein is necessary for healing with Dr. Gordon Chang, the annual holiday cookbook gift guide with Naomi Bussin, how Covid-19 impacts your brain with Dr. Daniel Wilson and how peanuts can help regulate your blood sugar with Dr. Samara Sterling
We specifically discuss:
Protein For Healing Your Body
- Why is protein important for our health?
- Essential and non-Essential amino acids
- Sources of protein
- How the body processes protein
- Increasing protein to help heal the body
- How much more protein do we need when we’re healing?
- Liquid protein shots?
The Holiday Cookbook Gift Guide
- Trends for cookbooks
- Sheet Pan Chicken – Cathy Erway
- Diala’s Kitchen – Diala Canelo
- East – Meera Sodha
- Coconut And Sambal – Lara Lee
- Snacking Cakes – Yossy Arefi
- Dessert Person – Claire Saffitz
- Pie Camp – Kate McDermott
- 100 Cookies – Sarah Kieffer
How Covid-19 Impacts Your Brain
- Covid-19 stressors
- How are people being impacted?
- The uncertainty of the pandemic
- Difficulty in grieving
- How does the stress impact our brain functions?
- Neuro-Covid or Brain Fog, PTSD
- Quarantine stoking addictions
- Gaining a new perspective as a result of the pandemic
How Peanuts Can Help Regulate Your Blood Sugar
- Type 1 vs. Type 2 Diabetes
- Lifestyle changes and the prevention of Type 2 Diabetes
- How can peanuts prevent spikes in blood sugar?
- How can peanuts help with weight management?
- The nutrients found in peanuts
- Do you still get the health benefits of peanuts when they’re processed?
- Why are peanuts so powerful as a “superfood”?
- Health benefits of peanuts beyond the regulation of blood sugar
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha and Dr. Gordon Chang go here.
To read articles by Naomi Bussin go here
To learn more about Western U and Dr. Daniel Wilson go here.
To learn more about Dr. Samara Sterling go here.