Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on March 13 and 14, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss managing the symptoms of menopause naturally with Joel Thuna, the treatment of frozen shoulders with Dr. Erin Boynton, the practice of Yoga Nidra with Sari Nisker Fox and the flavour of umami with Shauna Lindzon
We specifically discuss:
Treating the Symptoms of Menopause Naturally
- What is menopause and when does it occur?
- The role of oestrogen
- Menopause symptoms
- Is hormone replacement therapy still viable?
- General health heading into menopause
- Vitamin D and K2
- What are hot flashes and how can they be treated?
- What is the cause of vaginal dryness and how can it be treated?
- Hormonal changes and mood
- The connection between menopause and bone density
Treating Frozen Shoulders
- What is a frozen shoulder?
- How do you get a frozen shoulder?
- What does a frozen shoulder feel like?
- Can you treat a frozen shoulder?
- Isometric contractions
- Natural treatment and lifestyle
- Cortisone treatment
- Physical therapy and acupuncture
- What is yoga nidra?
- The guided meditation experience
- What do you do in yoga nidra?
- Relaxing the body parts from head to toe
- What do you need to practice yoga nidra?
- How does yoga nidra make you feel?
- How does yoga nidra help you?
The Fifth Flavour Profile: Umami
- What is umami?
- Sources of umami
- Umami to replace salt
- The role of umami in cooking
- Cooking with umami ingredients
- Miso, fish sauce, anchovies, dehydrated mushrooms
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Erin Boynton go here.
To learn more about Sari Nisker Fox go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.