Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on May 22 and 23, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss how to avoid slip and fall injuries with Joel Thuna, self forgiveness as an aspect of mindfulness with Tracey Soghrati, safe weight training at home with Tim Irvine and cognitive therapy for stress with Paula Allen
We specifically discuss:
Avoiding Slip and Fall Injuries
- What are the implications of slip and fall injuries?
- Slip and fall statistics in Canada
- What are the risk factors for slip and falls?
- Speak to your primary health care provider
- The importance of exercise: balance and strength
- Check your eyesight
- 1/2 of slip and fall injuries occurs in the home
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin K2-MK7
- Calcium: for bones and muscles
- What is forgiveness?
- What gets confused for forgiveness?
- What is self-forgiveness?
- Personal distress prevents empathy
- The steps towards self-forgiveness
- Realigning yourself with your values
- Make it “doubly right”: a mantra for self-forgiveness
Weight Training Safely in the Home
- Why should we include weight training to our home workouts?
- Dumbbells: recommended weights
- Barbells: the ability to load more weight
- Racks and benches: safety first
- Visual feedback: spotter, trainer, mirror etc.
- Do you need a spotter?
- Warm ups: activating your muscles
Cognitive Therapy for Stress
- What mental health trends are driven by Covid-19?
- Stress and emotional fatigue
- Workplace stress
- People’s ability to cope with stress
- Stress resilience amongst leaders and management
- Impact on productivity
- “Jab” optimism
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Tim Irvine go here.
To learn more about Paula Allen go here.