Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 7 and 8, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss women’s health issues as they age with Dr. Gordon Chang, sustainable entertaining with Candice Best, how to avoid injuries when going back to the gym with Dr. Stacy Irvine and how to reduce post-Covid anxiety with Heather Lillico
We specifically discuss:
Women’s Health Over 50
- Changes as women age
- The benefits of exercise
- Digestive enzymes for processing food
- Osteoporosis: calcium, magnesium and trace minerals
- Healthy skin: hyaluronic acid, collagen
- Mitigating hormonal change: phytoestrogen
- Essential fatty acids: Omegas
- Natural approach to diabetes control
- Metabolizing protein: milk based vs. plant based protein supplementation
- Why is sustainability top of mind?
- Cueing the guests via invitation
- Setting the scene: start with what you have
- Dinnerware options: renewables, borrowing, BYO
- The food: plant based options, buying local, low carbon footprint, repurposing
- Weaving sustainability into the conversation
- Craft table for kids
Avoiding Injuries When Going Back To The Gym
- The risk of injury
- Our bodies are different after Covid: weight, deconditioning, posture and atrophy
- Being away from the heavy weights
- Improving posture
- What injuries should we specifically try to avoid?
- Core – back pain – hip flexors
- Ankles – mobility/change of directions
- Shoulders – the “hunch” and the rotator cuff
Reducing post-Covid Anxiety
- Why are some people anxious about resuming activities?
- Coping with the unknown: Be kind to yourself
- Personal comfort levels
- Is striving for “zero anxiety” reasonable?
- Self compassion
- Setting expectations too high
- Is there such a thing as “too much compassion”?
- What can you do if you’re feeling panicky?
- Does diet have a role in coping with anxiety?
- Fermented foods and prebiotics
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha and Dr. Gordon Chang go here.
To learn more about Candice Best go here.
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine go here.
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here.