Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 28 and 29, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss why you shouldn’t sleep laying flat with Adarsh Shah, integrating back into normal life after Covid-19 with Dr. Iman Taheri, reducing waste when you cook with Naomi Bussin and the Canadian Longitudinal Study On Aging with Dr. Parminder Raina
We specifically discuss:
Don’t Sleep Laying Flat
- Why is it that we sleep horizontally and flat?
- How are humans designed to sleep?
- Why would a curved sleeping surface be best for humans?
- Memory foam and adjustable base
- Sleeping on your back in “zero gravity” position
- The health benefits to curved sleeping
- Do most people sleep on their back?
- Snoring and the “pillow tilt”
- “Too young” for an adjustable bed
- The cost of adjustable beds
- Can you use an existing mattress with an adjustable base?
Integrating Back To Normal Life After Covid-19
- Why has the pandemic caused people to struggle so greatly?
- How do we address people’s uncertainty and anxiety about integrating?
- What are the concerns of people post pandemic?
- What can we do to cope with anxiety?
- What is the best way to start integrating back into society?
- How can we help our kids going back to school?
- Prioritizing health and safety during family gatherings
- The politics of vaccine
Reducing Waste While Cooking
- What does cooking sustainably mean?
- One Pot, One Planet, Anna Jones
- One pot/pan recipes
- Cooking with “one ingredient”
- Cooking quick dishes
- Sustainable food preparation: vegetarian proteins
- Food storage and shopping inventories
- The most wasted foods…and how to use them
- Shopping protocols
- Living with less plastic
- The environmental impact of certain foods
The Canadian Longitudinal Study On Aging
- What is a longitudinal study and why is it so important?
- The Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging
- What questions are asked of the study participants?
- What assessments of participants are conducted?
- Has Covid-19 changed the process or the focus of the study?
- Covid-19 related data collection
- Public access to information collected
- How is the collected data used?
- The CLSA website
For more information about show sponsor Ultramatic and Adarsh Shah go here.
To follow Dr. Iman Taheri on Instagram go here.
To read Naomi Bussin’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Parminder Raina’s work with the Canadian Longitudinal Study On Aging here.