Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on July 10 and 11, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the treatment of the symptoms of menopause with Andrea Donsky, getting beyond perfection with Heather Lillico, backyard entertaining with Shauna Lindzon and the effects of aging on muscles, tendons and bones with Dr. Erin Boynton
We specifically discuss:
Treating the Effects of Menopause
- The definition of menopause
- The phases of menopause
- Symptoms of menopause in post-menopause
- The symptoms of menopause
- Sleep issues
- The glymphatic system
- Sleep hygiene
- Supplements that help with sleep
- Menopause and weight gain
- Lifestyle changes to impact weight gain
- Resources for menopause information
Getting Beyond Perfection
- What is perfectionism?
- How do you know if you’re a perfectionist?
- Perfectionism and procrastination
- The thought patterns of perfectionists
- The positive aspects of perfectionism
- Anxiety, loneliness and depression
- Progress vs. perfection
- How do you treat perfectionism?
- Listen, lean in and let go
- Not losing your edge
- The rules of Covid hosting
- Buffets and personal tongs
- Charcuterie boards
- Preparing food in advance
Aging and Muscles, Tendons and Bones
- Loss of muscle mass as we age
- Is it possible to increase muscle mass?
- What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?
- What are the symptoms of muscle atrophy?
- How do you prevent osteoporosis and muscle atrophy?
- Diet, exercise and lifestyle
- Resistance training: body weight exercises
- Lower weights at 10-15 repetitions
- Frequency of resistance and cardio treatment
- The importance of rest days
- How do you get started?
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To learn more about Andrea Donsky go here
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.
To learn more about Dr. Erin Boynton go here.