Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 2 and 3, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss a holistic approach to gut health with Dr. Gordon Chang, 5 principles to sustainable weight loss with Dr. Sher Bovay, preserving the harvest bounty with Carolyn Tanner Cohen and indoor forced flowers with Melissa Cameron
We specifically discuss:
A Holistic Approach to Gut Health
- The path to good health is through the gut
- Digestive enzymes as we age
- Stomach acid and the breakdown of protein
- Getting nutrients into the system
- Immunity and food allergies
- Your microbiome adapts and changes
- Probiotics: variety and balance over quantity
- Fiber and the importance of regular bowel movements
5 Principles to Achieve Sustainable Weight Loss
- Keeping weight off, as opposed to losing weight, as a goal
- Have a game plan
- Your plan must work for your body type
- Consider the reason why you want to lose weight
- Creating sustainable habits
- Course correction
- Learning the art of flexibility
Preserving the Seasonal Bounty
- Freezing greens
- Cooking with frozen (or fresh) greens
- Drying herbs
Indoor Forced Flowers
- What is a forced flower?
- Amaryllis: growing tips
- Paperwhite: growing tips
- Can indoor forced flowers be planted outdoors?
- Timing the plants as holiday gifts
- Maintenance tips
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha and Dr. Gordon Chang go here.
To learn more about Dr. Sher Bovay go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner Cohen go here.
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.