Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 9 and 10, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss how to tune up your immunity, with Joel Thuna, the link between anxiety and IBS with Heather Lillico, cooking with alternative ingredients with Naomi Bussin and the hybrid model of health and wellness with Dr. Stacy Irvine
We specifically discuss:
How To Tune Up Your Immunity
- Why is immunity more of concern this Fall (as opposed to last Fall)?
- How does the immune system work?
- What can we do to bolster our immune system?
- Hand washing etc.
- Eating healthy: Antioxidants, Water, Fiber, Nutrients, Spices
- Protein and the immune system: Whey protein isolate
- Blood sugar levels
- Prebiotics and probiotics
- Vitamin C and Zinc
- Vitamin D and K2
- Detox: Water and Liquid Chlorophyll
The Connection Between Anxiety and IBS
- How are anxiety and IBS connected?
- The blood/brain barrier
- What comes first – IBS or anxiety?
- What are the risk factors to developing IBS
- Food diary: to determine which food triggers exist
- What do we do to develop the “good bacteria”?
- Supplements for gut support
Cooking With Alternative Ingredients
- Why are we talking about alternative ingredients?
- What are alternative “milks”?
- How to make your own milk
- The Greenhouse Cookbook by Emma Knight
- What are alternative “flours”?
- Mother Grains by Roxanna Jullapat
- Buckwheat pancakes, overnight oats etc.
- Swapping out butter for oil
- Espresso instead of milk when baking
The Hybrid Model of Health and Wellness
- What does hybrid mean?
- When can you see your health practitioner in person vs. virtually?
- Is sports rehabilitation executable virtually?
- What does hybrid exercise look like?
- Virtual exercise options
- Covid-19 impacting our health going forward: mental health issues
- Overcoming isolation
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here
To read Naomi Bussin’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine go here.