Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 16 and 17, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss probiotics and your immunity with Andrea Donsky, how peanuts can boost your cognition and reduce anxiety with Dr. Samara Sterling, cooking with cranberries with Shauna Lindzon and the Pine River Foundation with Peter Neal
We specifically discuss:
Probiotics and Your Immunity
- Tips to boost immunity for the coming colder weather
- Eat whole foods
- Reduce stress: stimulate the parasympathetic system
- Vitamin D3 + K2
- Magnesium and its various forms
- What are probiotics?
- The science of probiotics
- Does it matter what strain of probiotics you take?
- Can we get probiotics from your food?
- The gut health/brain health connection
- This is Your Brain on Food by Dr. Uma Naidoo
- How do you choose the right probiotic?
How Peanuts Improve Cognition and Reduce Anxiety
- Recent research from the University of Barcelona
- Cognition, executive function and processing speed
- What is it in peanuts that helps with cognition?
- Can peanuts provide health benefits for older adults?
- Peanuts are a plant based protein
- Reduction of heart risk
- Value as antioxidant
- Are peanuts actually fattening?
- How to get peanuts into your diet
Cooking With Cranberries
- The nutritional benefits of cranberries
- Sweetening cranberries
- The best way to buy cranberries
- Cranberry sauce
- Savory applications
The Pine River Foundation
- What is the Pine River Foundation?
- The Pine River Institute
- A distinct treatment facility for youths in distress
- The parallel process, involving family members
- Quantifying the work done at Pine River
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To learn more about Andrea Donsky go here
To learn more about Dr. Samara Sterling go here
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.
To learn more about the Pine River Foundation go here.