Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on January 8 and 9, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the right way to detox with Dr. Gordon Chang, beating the Winter blues with herbs and foods with Heather Lillico, self care strategies with Tracey Soghrati and improve your soil to improve your garden with Melissa Cameron.
We specifically discuss:
- The major organs of detoxification
- The proper approach to detoxification
- How do you detox your liver?
- Dealing with free radicals: antioxidants
- Detoxing your kidneys
- Detoxing your lungs
- Boosting your immune system
- Advocacy for vaccination
Beating the Winter Blues
- What are the “Winter Blues”?
- Causes of the seasonal affective disorder
- Aromas and essential oils
- Carbohydrate rich foods (with low glycemic index)
- Fermented foods
- Avoid processed and fried foods
- Omega 3 rich foods
- Meal planning and meal prep
- Vitamin D
- Get outside and let the sunshine in
- Awareness: Window of Tolerance
- The zone of arousal
- Reverse engineering your zone of arousal
- Self care is dose dependent
- “Taking things away”
- Finding the time for self care
- Removing negative inputs: ie. alcohol
- Check in to make sure you are meeting goals
Improve Your Soil To Improve Your Garden
- What is soil health?
- Think of soil as a living organism
- The abiotic elements of soil
- Add organic materials to your soil
- “No till” soil: Building layers vs. aeration
- Buying soil: worm castings
- Top soil, potting mix, triple mix, compost and manure
- When is the best time to amend your soil?
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha and Dr. Gordon Chang go here.
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.