Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on April 23 and 24, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss cannabis and pain management with Umar Syed, the societal construct of shame with Carlyle Jansen, the treatment of seasonal allergies with Dr. Harissios Vliagoftis and behavioural activation with Tracey Soghrati
We specifically discuss:
Cannabis for Pain Management
- What are cannabinoids?
- How do they interact with our endocannabinoid system?
- What does the endocannabinoid system do?
- THC and CBD
- How do the cannabinoids affect our pain receptors and inflammation?
- The “entourage effect”
- The therapeutic windows of CBD (and THC)
- How does the body absorb cannabinoids?
- The pros and cons of consuming cannabinoids through the lungs
- Oral dosing
- The benefits of sublingual absorption
- Risks to taking medical cannabis
- Benefits of taking medical cannabis as compared to pharmaceuticals
- Can you get high from taking medical cannabis?
The Shame About Shame
- What is shame?
- The purpose of shame
- Societal normalized standards
- Exclusion from the norms
- Shame and sex and pleasure
- Who is normal…and why does that matter?
- How do we address shame?
- How do we fight back against negative messaging?
The Treatment of Seasonal Allergies
- What are the common seasonal allergies?
- How do we protect ourselves from allergens?
- Antihistamines, steroidal nasal sprays
- Have allergies become more prevalent?
- How effective are current options for allergy treatment?
- Allergies can develop at any time in your life
- Treatments under development: biologics and steroids
- Disease prevention, targeting specific proteins and activating the immune system
- What is behavioural activation?
- Actions which change thoughts and behaviours
- Ignoring your emotions
- How do you know if behavioural activation is good for you?
- Can you utilize behavioural activation if you are feeling low?
- …the actions should be positive
- How do you initiate the practice of behavioural activation?
- Moving towards a valued purposeful life
- Tools and worksheets
To learn more about show sponsor Opticann and Umar Syed go here.
To learn more about Shuana Lindzon go here.
To learn more about Dr. Harissios Vliagoftis go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.