Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on May 7 and 8, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss beneficial strains of probiotics with Dr. Krista Makay ND, the keys to longevity with Jerry Kroll, food and nutrition lingo with Shauna Lindzon and the connection between sleep and your mental health with Julien Heon
We specifically discuss:
Beneficial Strains of Probiotics
- What are bifidobacteria good for?
- What does the Bifido Infantis strain specifically do?
- L. Reuteri and its connection to inflammatory disease
- Should we focus on specific strains when purchasing probiotics?
- Does taking probiotics disrupt our microflora?
- Can you get the necessary probiotics from your food?
- Should you take probiotics on an empty stomach?
- The enteric coating of probiotics
- The differences between plant, dairy and human strains of probiotics
The Keys to Longevity
- The passion for longevity
- Preparing for running marathons as we age
- The collateral effects of long distance running
- The 5 levels of longevity
- “Reprogramming” your liver
- The stress of running
- Happiness and enjoyment tied to your exercise
- The collection of health data
Food and Nutrition Lingo
- The language of food and nutrition
- “Clean eating” as an exclusionary concept
- The pandemic changing people’s approach to food
- Looking for nutrition information online
Sleep and Your Mental Health
- The connection between sleep and mental health
- The cumulative effect of sleep
- Does anxiety feed poor sleep or vice versa?
- Covid 19, stress and sleep cycles
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- The employer’s role and interest in employee’s sleep
- How do you know if you have a sleep quality issue?
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To learn more about Dr. Krista Mackay ND go here
To learn more about Jerry Kroll go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Julien Heon’s work go here.