Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 4 and 5, 2022 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss the health benefits of mushrooms with Dr. Colleen Hartwick ND, solution focused perspectives with Tracey Soghrati, the importance of cutting out processed foods with Dr. Joan Ifland and why you should shop for groceries at a co-op with Paul De Campo.
We specifically discuss:
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
- What do mushrooms do for us?
- Mushrooms as food and medicine
- Chitin and the bioavailability of nutrients
- The hot water extraction process
- Polysaccharides and other nutrients
- How are mushroom supplements sold
- Lion’s Mane
- Maitake and Shitake
- Contraindications and concerns
Solution Focused Perspectives
- What is a solution focused perspective?
- How to include a solution focused perspective into your life?
- But don’t we have to understand our problems?
- The value of insight and reflection
- Exceptions to the problems
- Avoiding “all or nothing” thinking
- Tracking our actions
- What are the “Powerful Questions”?
- How do I know if I need to use a solution focused perspective?
Cutting Out Processed Foods
- What is a processed food?
- What would a day without processed foods look like?
- What could having a sweet tooth mean?
- What is the challenge of cutting out processed foods?
- The analogy of cigarettes and processed foods
- The 7 day challenge
- What can we do to stop eating processed foods?
Why You Should Shop at a Co-op
- What is a co-op?
- What are the principles that support a co-op?
- Why would someone want to become a member of a co-op?
- Going outside the traditional food distribution chain
- Uniqueness of products and purveyors
- The Karma co-op 50th anniversary!
- Myths and misconceptions
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To learn more about Dr. Colleen Hartwick ND go here
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Dr. Joan Ifland go here
To learn more about Paul De Campo and the Karma Co-op go here.