Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on September 17 and 18 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss health and wellness learnings from an industry insider, George Barakat, the art of adapting with Dr. Stacy Irvine, science based approaches to graceful aging with David Nelson, and the importance of regular blood testing with Cherly Petruk.
We specifically discuss:
Health and Wellness Learnings
- A holistic view of health and wellness
- Why is this approach so important?
- The “religion” of healthcare
- George’s journey in healthcare
- The pandemic and governmental control over healthcare
- The advance of digital medicine
- How did the pandemic change approaches to healthcare delivery?
- How technology can help deliver convenient healthcare
- The shift to preventative healthcare
The Art of Adapting
- Why is the ability to adapt so important?
- Fall is a great time for change
- Health learnings from the pandemic
- Why are professional athletes so good at adapting?
- How do you feel about change?
- Journalling and analysis
- Dealing with stress from change
- The value of time
Science Based Approaches to Graceful Aging
- The wellness industry
- Disease (and dis-ease) free life
- Eat real food
- Social relationships
- Mental space
- Getting out into nature
- Post-retirement purpose
- David Sinclair: Lifespan
- Restrevarol and nmn
- The blue zones
The Importance of Regular Blood Testing
- What are MPN blood cancers?
- How can MPN blood cancer progress?
- Why should Canadians care about MPN blood cancer?
- The importance of blood testing
- What are the symptoms of MPN blood cancer?
- A personal story
- Quality of life app
To learn more about George Barakat and Medworks go here
To read Dr. Stacy Irvine’s article in The Tonic Magazine go here
To learn more about Dr. Stacy Irvine go here
To learn more about David Nelson go here.
To learn more about Cheryl Petruk go here.