Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on January 21 and 22, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss how the medications you take and the lifestyle choices you make may impact your sleep with geriatric pharmacist Andy Donald, healthcare trends and predictions for 2023 with professor James Jordan, everything you need to know about seeds with Master Organic Gardener Melissa Cameron and the latest in exercise science with researcher David Nelson ND.
We specifically discuss:
Medical Cannabis for Sleep and Pain Relief
- The constituents of cannabis
- Low doses of THC
- Cannabinoids do not impact REM sleep (at lower doses)
- Cannabinoid receptors
- Anecdotal studies
- Drug interactions
- Health Canada recommendations that CBD products be only in pharmacies
- Changing doses of other medications
- Has the research caught up with the market?
- Are doctors more comfortable prescribing cannabis now?
- What do you do if your doctor is reluctant to prescribe cannabis?
Healthcare Trends and Predictions for 2023
- Engaging the public to be healthier through technology?
- Siloing of information
- How can health predictions help people practically?
- Gamification of health information
- The use of personal data
- Adapting to new technology
- Using technology to encourage personalization of healthcare
- Physician shortages
- New findings from CES
Everything You Need To Know About Seeds
- Why should we buy and grow with seeds?
- Is it worth the effort growing from seeds?
- Where should we get seeds?
- Do you have to start your seeds indoors?
- When should we buy our seeds?
- Do seeds have a shelf life?
- When should indoor planting to start your seeds be done?
- Why is it important not to start your seeds too soon?
- Is it okay to start your seeds on a window sill?
- What is “hardening off”?
- The cost proposition of growing from seeds
- Melissa’s top picks for seeds
The Latest in Exercise Science
- Exercise can raise endorphins, but the “Runner’s High” is actually endocannabinoids
- Exercise and the microbiome
- Runners are more efficient when they have a gut bacteria that metabolizes lactic acid
- The microbiome and your hormones: long term aerobic exercise changes the drive to exercise
- What is the best type of exercise?
- Eccentric loading is enough for toning
- When is the best time of day to work out?
To learn more about show sponsor, Pharma-Z powered by the Health Depot go here
To learn more about Andy Donald go here
To learn more about James Jordan go here
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.
To learn more about David Nelson go here