Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 4 and 5, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss how to have a healthier heart with Naturopath Colleen Hartwick, the collateral benefits to intermittent fasting with “former dead man” Fred Rutman, cooking with chocolate and ginger with Dietician Shauna Lindzon, and eating locally with agricultural expert (and farmer) Peggy Brekveld
We specifically discuss:
How to Have a Healthier Heart
- What is the impact of heart disease on Canadians?
- They types of heart disease
- The benefits of exercise
- Diet tips
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin K
- Omega 3’s
- Coenzyme Q-10
The Collateral Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
- What is intermittent fasting?
- How does intermittent fasting work?
- The gurus
- Is intermittent fasting really just calorie reduction?
- Satiety signals
- Reducing basal insulin levels
- Normalizing the gut biome
- Brain fog
Cooking With Chocolate…and Ginger
- What flavours go with chocolate?
- Candied ginger
- Health benefits of eating chocolate and ginger
- Fresh vs. preserved ginger
- Other applications for ginger
- Why is local food important to a healthy diet?
- How do local products stand up to the recent national food guide?
- How do we eat locally during the Winter?
- How do you know if you’re eating locally?
- Aren’t all dairy products locally sourced in Ontario?
- What are the collateral benefits to eating locally?
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here
To learn more about Colleen Hartwick go here
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here
To learn more about Peggy Brekveld go here