Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 11 and 12, 2023 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss blending Eastern and Western remedies into formulations with nutraceutical formulator Dr. Gordon Chang, balancing your digital diet with Silicon Valley Expat Alex Fink, the top tips for garden design for 2023 with master organic gardener, Melissa Cameron and supporting black food entrepreneurs with expert Janice Bartley.
We specifically discuss:
Combining Eastern and Western Formulations
- The “Wild West” days of nutraceutical production and marketing
- The efficacies of traditional Chinese herbal medicine
- Emphasizing science over marketing
- Nutraceuticals are regulated in Canada
- “Structure/function” claims of nutraceuticals
- Testing and quality standards
- Single ingredient remedies vs. formulations
- The proper role of supplements
Balancing Your Digital Diet
- Why is fake news so prevalent?
- Chasing “clicks” and “views”
- Emotions creeping into factual information reporting
- Nutritional label for media reporting
- The objective criteria of what is “click bait”
- The role of technology in proper labelling media
- ….Clickbait is effective
- Do enough people care?
Top Garden Design Tips for 2023
- What questions should we be asking ahead of designing our gardens?
- What need do you want your garden to fulfil?
- How much time do you want to spend in your garden?
- What rehabilitation is necessary?
- What makes good garden design?
- Space and height
- When and how should we start our design process?
- Common design problems
- Do you need a professional?
- Melissa’s top tips
Supporting Black Food Entrepreneurs
- Starting Foodpreneurlab
- The difficulties of succeeding in the food market space
- The process of getting funding
- How do you help an entrepreneur get their product on the shelf?
- Scalability – shelf life
- Success stories
- Where can listeners find products?
To learn more about show sponsor OmegaAlpha and Dr. Gordon Chang go here.
To learn more about Alex Fink go here.
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.
To learn more about Janice Bartley go here.