Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 19 and 20, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we’ll discuss how to break the cycle of joint pain, inflammation and cartilage degeneration with Dr. Ludovic Brunel ND, mood boosting Summer foods with Heather Lillico, understanding the non-binary gender continuum with Carlyle Jansen and a Dragon’s perspective on philanthropy with Vincenzo Guzzo.
We specifically discuss:
Breaking the Cycle of Joint Pain
- Why is it that we feel pain?
- Arthritis/chronic pain
- What is the cause of osteoarthritis?
- Injuries and other risk factors
- The immune system and rheumatoid arthritis
- How do you treat osteoarthritis?
- 3 steps: remove inflammation, clean up debris and replenishment and rebuilding
- How do you minimize inflammation?
- Curcumin and Boswellia
- Clean up the debris and dead tissue: enzymes
- Rebuilding the cartilage: NEM, glucosamine chondroitin
Mood Boosting Summer Foods
- Is there a connection between food and mental health?
- Summer foods available locally in Toronto
- Cherries: tryptophan and melatonin
- Gooseberries/Goldenberries: fiber
- Mustard greens: Vitamin K
- Radicchio: stimulation of digestion, anti-oxidants
- Summer squash: Vitamin B6
- Bringing these foods into your diet
- Does cooking impact the nutritional value of these foods?
- Does when you eat matter to your mood?
- Meal prep
Understanding the Non-Binary Gender Continuum
- What is gender identity?
- Non-binary gender identity
- Gender and sex: two different things
- Western culture vs. non-binary gender identity
- Transsexuality and Intersexuality
- Don’t make assumptions
- Names and “dead names’
- Gendered language
A Dragon’s Perspective on Philanthropy
- Sparking the community mindset
- The Guzzo Foundation
- Giving is personal
- Mental health issues caused by the pandemic
- How do you get your business involved in philanthropy?
- Recommendations for entrepreneurs who want to be philanthropic
For more information about show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To learn more about Dr. Ludovic Brunel ND go here
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here
To read Carlyle Jansen’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Vincenzo Guzzo go here.