Welcome to this episode of THE TONIC, terrestrially broadcast on December 2, 2017 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss choosing the best protein with Strength and Nutrition Expert Melissa Blair; the truths and myths of Crossfit training with Crossfit Trainer Dr. Sheldon Levy and why you should move away from dieting towards mindful eating with Holistic Nutritionist Claire LeGresley.
We specifically discuss:
Choosing a Vegan Protein Powder:
- How do you select a protein powder that’s right for you?
- Whey based vs. vegetable based protein powder
- Bio-availability of the protein
- What are the factors that go into absorption of protein?
- Digestive enzymes: what should you look for?
- What are the benefits of Chaga mushrooms?
- What is an “adaptogen”?
- Why would you choose vegan protein over whey based protein?
Crossfit Training Truths and myths:
- Do you need to be super fit to do Crossfit?
- What is involved in a typical Crossfit class?
- Does Crossfit require a huge time commitment?
- Does Crossfit lead to injury?
- Do all people who do Crossfit become fanatics?
- Are Crossfit gyms sweaty garages?
Moving Away From Dieting Towards Mindful Eating:
- How do you define dieting?
- What is the most common reason for people to fail or give up on their diet?
- Instead of dieting, what should people be doing?
- Focus on well-being not weight.
- How do you sustain wellness?
- Why is dieting destructive?
- Tips for mindful eating
For Claire’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Melissa Blair go here.
To learn more about Crossfit and in particular CrossfitYKV go here.
To learn more about the sponsor for this episode, Purica, go here.