Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on October 6th, 2018 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we explore the importance of how you source your protein with Dr. Gordon Chang, discuss fitness hacks with Kathleen Trotter with Kathleen Trotter, having a healthy Thanksgiving with Carolyn Tanner-Cohen and what to do when your adult kids return to the empty nest with Lesley Sandler-Griff
Also….the Soul Segment with Lisa Marvin
We specifically discuss:
Sources of Protein:
- What are proteins?
- What do proteins do?
- Proteins become simple amino acids
- proteins from meat, milk, vegetables
- proteins from meat
- protein for people with or recovering from illness
- muscle atrophy during illness
- Milk protein – lactose
- Whey proteins vs. milk protein isolates
- The body requires different types of protein
- plant based/vegan protein
- soy protein and photo-estrogen
- advantages of plant based proteins
- How to make exercise happen
- Fitness hacks
- hacks vs. stress
- disconnect exercise from the gym
- working out as a family
- friendly competitions
- non-food rewards
- designing your own hacks
SOUL SEGMENT: Love Life
- Preparing for a big day of eating
- exercise and hydration
- eat breakfast and lunch
- avoid hors d’oeuvres if you can
- alcohol consumption
- healthy hosting
- healthy guesting
- healthy swap outs
When Adult Kids Return to the Empty Nest:
- Impact of adult children returning to the empty nest
- reasons for returning to the nest
- plans for the return
- issues that arise
- expectations and communication
- responsibilities and privacy
For more information about show sponsor OmegaAlpha go here.
To learn more about Kathleen Trotter go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner Cohen go here.
To learn more about Lesley Sandler-Griff go here.