Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 1 and 2, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the 3 greatest risk factors to heart disease with Dr. Philip Rouchotas ND, milk vs. dairy free alternatives with Shauna Lindzon, mindfulness and technology with Tracey Soghrati and how yoga can help you attain your goals with Sari Nisker-Fox
We specifically discuss:
The 3 Greatest Risk Factors to Heart Disease
- What is Metabolic Syndrome?
- Hereditary and lifestyle factors
- Waist circumference
- The nature of the health risks
- Reasonable expectations for affecting change
- Lifestyle strategies to avoid diabetes
- The Mediterranean Diet
- Focus on cholesterol
- Blood pressure
Milk vs. Dairy Free Alternatives
- Why dairy? Why dairy free alternative?
- What nutrients do you get from dairy?
- Dairy free alternatives
- The benefits and drawbacks of making your own dairy free alternative
- Replacing the nutrients you get from dairy
- Potential digestion problems with dairy free alternative?
Mindfulness and Technology
- Remove all devices from your bedroom
- Turn notifications off (unless necessary for your work)
- Creating a tech free time/zone – dinnertime
- Stepping away from the technology
- Multi-tasking (is b.s.)
- Secure your phone when you drive
- Create a conscious community through technology
- Be purposeful in your use of technology
How Yoga Can Help You Attain Your Goals
- The opportunity to pause
- Turning back to your heart
- Connecting to your intention
- Clear vision
- Feeling your future feelings
- Expecting and facing challenges
- The practice as a metaphor of life
- Surrender, honour and gratitude
NOTE: On the February 15/16 show David Bernstein and I will be discussing the fear of death and meaning of life, focusing on a documentary about 97 year old philosopher Herbert Fingarette. To access the video go to the Caregiver Services website or here.
For more information about Ian Clark show sponsor New Roots Herbal go here.
To read the article with Dr. Philip Rouchotas ND in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Shauna Lindzon go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here
To read the article by Sari Nisker-Fox in Tonic Magazine go here.