Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on June 12 and 13, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss how to have better bones with Joel Thuna, treating varicose veins with Alexandra Leon, dealing with garden critters with Melissa Cameron and the best Summer marinade tips with Carolyn Tanner Cohen
We specifically discuss:
How to Have Better Bones
- What do our bones do for us?
- Bone mass statistics
- Remodeling your bones
- Can we build bone mass as we age?
- Nutrition for your bones
- Bone health when on a vegan or vegetarian diet
- Proteins for bone health
- Phosphorus vs Calcium
- Lifestyle choices: smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol
- Stress and bone health: Cortisol
- Calcium and Potassium
- Vitamin D and K2
- Vitamin C
Treating Varicose Veins
- What are the roles of the circulatory system?
- Arteries and veins
- Veins: vessel strength and valves
- The role of Elastin
- What are varicose veins?
- Are varicose veins just an aesthetic issue?
- How do you know if you have deep varicose veins?
- Why are the causes of varicose veins?
- How do you reduce varicose veins?
- Grapeseed extract, Horse Chestnut and Butcher’s Broom
Practical Solutions For Garden Critters
- How do you “critter-proof” your garden?
- Squirrels, raccoons, rabbits and rats
- Can we co-exist with the critters?
- The use of chicken wire
- Coyote urine: the last resort
- Motion sprinklers
- Cayenne pepper and other home remedies
- Barrel composting
- Hardware cloth/mesh to prevent tunneling in raised beds
- Wash your fruit and vegetables
- Pets deterring critters
- Dealing with deer
- Feeding the chipmunks and squirrels
The Best Summer Marinade Tips
- What is the purpose of a marinade?
- How long should you marinade?
- What is the best way to marinate your protein?
- Patting the protein dry after marinating
- The acid in the marinade: don’t cure your protein
- Avoiding double dipping
- Repurposing your marinade as a sauce
- Marinating vegetables
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read articles by Joel Thuna in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Alexandra Leon and Nutripur go here.
To learn more about Melissa Cameron go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner Cohen go here.