Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on February 27 and 28, 2021 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss the importance of taking care of your heart with Carolyn Pullen, laxatives vs. fiber for your digestion with Alexandra Leon, how to calm yourself for a good night’s sleep with Heather Lillico and snacking cakes with Naomi Bussin
We specifically discuss:
The Importance of Taking Care of Your Heart
- The Canadian Cardiovascular Society
- Heart Health Month
- Why is being aware of heart health so important?
- How many Canadians are affected by heart disease?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a heart attack?
- What is the best course of action during a heart attack?
- What do we do if we see someone having a heart attack?
- Is it safe to get medical attention for your heart health during the pandemic?
- How do we prevent heart disease?
Laxatives vs. Fiber for your Digestion
- Why are digestive issues such a hot topic?
- The gut-brain axis
- Your core muscles and digestion
- Why is constipation problematic?
- Laxatives: working on the conduit
- Fiber: working on the content
- Aloe and psyllium
- How do we know whether we should take a laxative or fiber?
- How do we choose the right digestion product?
How to Calm Yourself for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Why do people have a hard time getting to sleep?
- What happens when we don’t get a good night’s sleep?
- How can we “turn our brains off”?
- Directing the mind: The Alphabet Task
- Progressive muscle activation
- Guided meditation
- Foods to help sleep: kiwis, tart cherries, oats, nuts
- Herbal remedies/teas: Chamomile, Holy Basil, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm
- Essential oils
- What is a snacking cake?
- Snacking Cakes by Yossy Arefi
- Salted caramel peanut butter cake
- Minty chocolate malt cake
- Black and blueberry ricotta cake
- Berry cream cheese cake
- Chocolate almond raspberry olive oil cake
- One Tin Bakes by Edd Kimber
- Coffee coffee cake
- Peanut butter brookies
- Almond and mixed berry “dump” cake
For more information about Carolyn Pullen and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society go here.
To learn more about Nutripur and Alexandra Leon go here.
To learn more about Heather Lillico go here
To read articles by Naomi Bussin in Tonic Magazine go here.