Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 29 and 30, 2020 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we discuss what it’s like to live with Parkinson’s disease with Linda Berard, how the right mattress cushioning can help you sleep with Adarsh Shah, the treatment of wear and tear injuries with Dr. Erin Boynton and the health benefits of juice with Nadia Kostos
We specifically discuss:
Living with Parkinson’s Disease
- The diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease
- Is Parkinson’s Disease hereditary?
- What is it like to receive a diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease?
- Parkinson’s is an ‘underestimated’ disease
- Coping with Parkinson’s Disease
- Advice for those who are diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease
- Advice for family and friends
- Linda’s support group Entraidonsnous
- The importance of participating in research
How the Right Mattress Cushioning Can Help You Sleep
- Does the way you sleep impact what sort of mattress firmness you need?
- Firmness of mattresses
- People who sleep on their side
- People who sleep on their stomach
- People who sleep on their back
- People who move around: the majority of us
- How does weight correlate to mattress firmness?
- The pros and cons of spring mattresses
- The pros and cons of memory foam, latex and gel mattresses
Wear and Tear Injuries
- What are wear and tear injuries?
- What can we do to stop our body from deteriorating?
- The ‘head forward’ posture
- Get the good molecules
- Stretching and foam rolling
- The time and place for surgery
- Fixing the movement problem: Kinetics
- The appropriateness of cortisone
- Stem cell treatment
- The age old question: Hot or cold treatment for pain?
The Health Benefits of Juice
- Who would benefit from drinking juice?
- The process of making cold pressed juice
- How does juice help alleviate stress?
- Juicing for those who’ve had surgery
- Juicing for those who have trouble digesting
- Juices with soluble fiber
- Juices for seniors
- Are there any contraindications for juice?
- The importance of an alkaline balance
For more information about show sponsor Parkinson Canada go here.
To learn more about Linda Berard and her support group go here.
To learn more about Ultramatic and Adarsh Shah go here
To learn more about Dr. Erin Boynton go here.
To learn more about Nadia Kostos go here