Welcome to this episode of The Tonic, terrestrially broadcast on August 18 2018 on AM740 and FM 96.7 in Toronto. Topics covered on the show track the lifestyle articles and themes published in Tonic Magazine. This week we talk liver health with Joel Thuna, cooking seasonal fruit and vegetables with Carolyn Tanner-Cohen, mindfulness and loving your body with Tracey Soghrati, and shifting your health mindset as we transition into Fall with Dr. Jodi Larry ND.
Also….the Soul Segment with Lisa Marvin and Pure Beauty with Dr. Kristen Ma ND
We specifically discuss:
- what does the liver do?
- what happens to the liver as we get older?
- liver regeneration
- what ailments can the liver suffer?
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
- causes of NAFLD
- conditions associated with NAFLD
- who is at risk to develop NAFLD?
- steps to lower risk to develop NAFLD
- cutting out alcohol
- avoiding soft drinks and energy drinks
- eat right
- avoiding drugs
- supplements for liver health: multivitamin, milk thistle, dandelion root
Cooking Seasonal Fruits and Vegetables
- tomatoes: varieties
- health benefits of tomatoes
- storing tomatoes
- raw tomato recipe: bruschetta
- cooked tomato recipe: cherry tomato sauce (go here)
- ripening and peeling peaches
- peach recipe: peaches burrata and mint
THE SOUL SEGMENT: Career
Mindfulness and Loving Your Body
- Mindfulness and the four foundations
- Noticing your body
- preferences, expectations and the stories we tell ourselves
- disconnecting from your body
- feeling sensations in your body
- language of the body
- Carolyn Myss: the body is the biography of your life
- the body stores experiences
- building tolerance
- emotional regulation
- act rather than react to the present moment
PURE BEAUTY: Mint
Shifting Your Health Mindset Into Fall:
- How to shift your health mindset into Fall
- overcoming Summer indulgence
- be mindful of sugar intake
- baked parsnips
- clean eating day
- eating and the brain
- finding alternatives
- tips for post-Summer cleanse
For more information about show sponsor Pure-Le Natural go here.
To read Joel’s articles in Tonic Magazine go here.
To learn more about Carolyn Tanner-Cohen go here.
To learn more about Tracey Soghrati go here.
To learn more about Dr. Jodi Larry ND go here.
To learn more about Lisa Marvin go here.
To connect with Dr. Kristen Ma of Pure+ Simple go here.